Friday, February 29, 2008

An American In Tokyo Is Like A Needle In A Haystack

An American woman walking in Tokyo gets very little play - no one looks at her. But in America, people stare blatantly. Except of course, when you actually want people to acknowledge your presence. But that's a different story.

The staring makes me a little insecure for sure, but hell if I don't like it. I sort of use the Look O' Barometer to gauge whether my face looks like it's been polishing the floor or on a sunny beach. Still, being anonymous in a foriegn country also makes me think.

In Japan, though I pay a hell of a lot more attention to how I look when I'm there, it doesn't matter. I don't worry much if I have hygienic issues, or decent hair. I feel freer, liberated and happy.

But also sometimes, pointless, invisible and a little bit silly.

Here's what I think; people should definitely ignore me and at the same time pay lots and lots of attention. I'm very conflicted. And I'm hoping this blog satisfies that need.

This blog isn't about anything particular, exactly. Just like I'm not always any one thing. I'm not in Japan now, but here's to pretending.

No comments: